Want to buy hard to find tropicals? Shop where we do:
MONDAY/ SATURDAY- Open 10:00 AM – 5:00 PM
SUNDAY - Open 1:00 PM – 5:00 PM
Special Show Admission Rates Vary
HISTORY OF THE CONSERVATORY:
The original conservatory was designed and constructed in 1914 by the
extremely well respected German landscape architect George Edward Kessler.
The original conservatory complex consisted of a palm house, two show
houses, two plant houses, a propagating house and a service building.
1954, the aging and deteriorated conservatory glass house was replaced
with a welded aluminum frame conservatory (below) that still
stands today. At the time that it was constructed, it was the first
all-aluminum, all-welded greenhouse in the United States. The straight
Art Deco-style lines replaced the curving line styles used in the original
1914 construction (above).
to the entire park in 1997, included the introduction of the permanent
rainforest theme inside the conservatory that still exists today. The
conservatory is currently used in many youth and
adult education classes with rainforest and nature-related themed
programs. It is the host of a wide variety of plant species including
palms, orchids and ferns as well as plants that are major rainforest
products like cacao (chocolate), chicle (chewing gum), papaya, vanilla,
banana, coffee and several varieties of citrus. It is also the home
to a few animal species as well. Although they are commonly well camouflaged
it is always an enjoyable challenge to spot one of our green anoles,
tree frogs or zebra finches. Due to the sensitivity of the other living things inside the conservatory, pets are not permitted into the facility.